[Zope] SiteRoot <base...> problem

Eric van Riet Paap eric@quadgames.com
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 15:16:15 +0200

Can the <base href=.....> tag insert in the <head> block be disabled. I
think this is something of the VirtualHostMonster, but I don't see why I
would want it and it gives me a problem that I don't know how to solve.

I have a multiple language site called quadgames.com , which has the
option to change language by linking to the current page with an
additional newlanguage=XX parameter. If a page is requested with this
parameter than a session variable that stores the current language is
modified. This works great! But now I added another site that should
serve exactly the same content but with another default language (the
site is called: quadgames.nl) . When Zope 'sees' that is a new session
and no 'newlanguage' parameter is available then the default language is
english (for the .com domain) and dutch (for the .nl domain). Great:
this should actualy work if it wasn't for the fact that when the user
selects a link (href/picture) the <base...> tag makes that all links
refer to either the ipadress of the server or the .com or the .nl domain
(whichever I select in SiteRoot). And when the user goes to the other
domain it looks (this what I think happens) as if the session info is no
longer valid (because we are on another domain now?) and the incorrect
language is selected.

I could make all links absolute but I don't want to be forced to do this!

Does anyone uncerstand what I mean and is there a solution to my problem?

kind regards,
Eric