[Zope] python ques

AM list_subscriber@neurobs.com
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 23:06:33 -0700

Hi all,
I realize the following is a python question but my post on
comp.lang.python has been languishing there for some time now without
any replies, so I just wanted to check if any of you knew a way out of
my problem...

I am trying to convert XML docs to HTML docs using an XSL file on the
fly. The function (external method ) that I have which does it is
the following:

## code begin

import libxml2
import libxslt

styledoc = libxml2.parseFile("page.xsl")
style = libxslt.parseStylesheetDoc(styledoc)
doc = libxml2.parseFile("xml_file.xml")
result = style.applyStylesheet(doc, None)
#---
style.saveResultToFilename("-", result, 0)
#---
style.freeStylesheet()
doc.freeDoc()
result.freeDoc()

## code end

Now the only problem with this is that result which is an xmldoc
object can only save to a file, I looked at the source of
libxml.py:xmldoc. It can dump and save in a variety of ways but only
to a file or if the arg is "-", as above, to the standard output.

I wanted to save the contents of result to a string which I could then
send back as part of the RESPONSE object.

So I have two ques:

1. If possible, how do I save the contents directly to a string so as
to bypass the whole "print open(html_file).read()" thing??

OR

2. How do I trap the output being sent to stdout and capture it into a
string??

TIA
AM

 Aseem Mohanty
 Neurobehavioral Systems Inc, 828 San Pablo Ave, Albany, CA 94706
 (R) 510 7696011 (M) 510 3014871 (O) 510 5279231
 "I saw `cout' being shifted "Hello world" times to the left and
  stopped right there!!"                        -- Steve Gonedes