[Zope] Zope cookies data point

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 22:34:06 +0200

Chris McDonough writes:
 > FWIW, Shane mentioned that sessions use cookies, but on the 2.6 branch
 > (the trunk) it's possible to do "cookieless" sessioning via the
 > automatic embedding of browser ids in the URL.  It makes for very ugly
 > URLs, though, and you still need to either post to forms with
 > Zope-generated URLs or embed the browser id in a hidden form element.
Why not use an URL segment to code the session information
and use __before_publishing_traverse__ magic (similar to
VHM) to manage this segment. URLs would look like:

     http://host/S-<session>/path_to_object

This way, both relative URLs and absolute URL would work
and you do not need to fiddle with hidden fields.

We probably would like a way to reference static content
without the session add-in, to improve cachabilitiy.

Dieter