[Zope] Newbiw: How to use Zope for simple CMS sharing docs (word,etc) and

Niels Petersen nielspeter@bigfoot.com
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 18:28:07 +0000

Chris, Max, Andreas,

thanks for your comments. I am still wondering if /hoping Zope is the
right tool. As I said I am pretty technical but completely new to
Zope/Phyton and for now I "just" have a urgent need I thought is
pretty generic:

* Setup a "portal" where a small team/community can share docs, links
and maybe discussions.
* Docs must be categorized (users can add new categories), provide
upload capability
* UI must be super-simple (no Zope management stuff) - simply allow
users these basic features (create new doc, upload, create
news/links/discussio) and nothing more

To give you guys an idea of a pretty good solution from the Evil
Empire - look at MSFT Team Services
(http://www.microsoft.com/frontpage/sharepoint/fastfacts.htm) or the

So why do I just not give in and use MSFT ?
1) I prefer open source alternatives to the evil empire

2) I like what I see in Zope/Plone and _think_ it could fit but I need
a minimum set of out-of-the-box features I currently don't see (seems
like zope has too much stuff <- this always happen in tech communities
- geeky stuff takes overhand)

3) Zope is customizable so once I get the hand on it I can see myself
adding new features that closed MSFT prods do not allow...

So tell me - are my req's that stange? How much work would it be to
get Zope/Plone close to the MSFT Team Services?

Niels

Re: the ZODB: One pretty important requirement is that members should
be able to take a snapshot of content from the site for offline work
(reading while flying or otherwise offline)

Haveing everything in a file system (that can be mapped) is the
easiest way..I think. I had mixed emperienced with Zope's WebDAV -
basically one can mostly not use W2K explorer for copy/paste -
explorer<->Zope WebDav just don't work well together and I cannot
change the fact that 99% of team members are on W2K clients..