TransparentFolder (was: Re: [Zope] Help! I need an old Debian package.)

Kyler Laird Kyler@Lairds.com
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 19:50:22 -0500

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 01:09:43AM +0100, Jo Meder wrote:

> I'd second TransparentFolder as a feature request for Zope.  They are
> really useful to structure storage without complicating URLs if you know
> what you're doing. Of course you have to be careful wrt duplicate ids.

As I recall, they cause horrible (processing) inefficiencies,
so they are not likely to be adopted in the base product.
The human efficiencies they bring (to us) are substantial.

I've been assuming that I'm the only one using TFs, so it's
nice to know someone else does.  More people to share the
load if we ever need to modify the product to handle a change
in Zope!

Now for my TF usage...

It's become *very* common for me to create a Folder such as
"proposals" and fill it with other Folders that represent
proposals.  Then I want tools that act on the proposals (like
"PDF_compilation").  It's sooo clean for me to be able
to drop a TF named "tools" into "proposals" and then simply
call it like this.
	http://.../blah/proposals/2002001/PDF_compilation
I do this all the time.  It would be hard for me to go back
to a non-TF world.

--kyler