[Zope] Dumb question: Can Zope be used as a LDAP server?

Stephan Richter stephan.richter@tufts.edu
Sun, 08 Dec 2002 10:27:30 -0500

On Sunday 08 December 2002 10:08, Eron Lloyd wrote:
> Twisted (http://www.twistedmatrix.com) is where you would want to be for
> something like this. At some point in Zope 3, Twisted and Zope may become
> more aware of eachother, so my suggestion is to help develop a
> Twisted-based LDAP server, which could then easily communicate with Zope.

Well, actually Twisted works already for a long time with Zope 3. Itamar
worked hard on getting this done.

However, there are several issues with a Twisted-based LDAP approach:

1. The current Twisted LDAP code does not have the right license. Anyway, I
prefer having something in the Zope core with the ZPL.

2. I still have to write all the Request and Publisher code, which is also a
lot of work, especially for something like LDAP. (I thought the VFSPublisher
code was a lot, but this is about 5 times (wild guess) bigger.)

On the other hand, Shane and I took a lot of time to modularize the server
framework for Zope 3 when porting Medusa to the new framework, which could
mean that the Twisted module would do just fine. But then Steve and I agree
we do not want our LDAP server depend on Twisted. :-)

I will have to investigate that further when I have time. But I still would
love it, if some others would step up and write a **basic** LDAP server. I
can help them to integrate it into Zope later.

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter