[Zope] RE: Qt/Free for Windows

Patrick Stinson ajole-1@gci.net
Sun, 8 Dec 2002 03:46:43 -0000

I was referring more to the closed-source nature of the Windows operating
system.

from the non-commercial FAQ @trolltech:
http://www.trolltech.com/developer/faqs/noncomm.html#Q3

"Why didn't you release Qt for Windows under GPL?
The GNU GPL and the Trolltech QPL are open-source, respectively Free
Software licenses. Note the capital "F". We are not talking "free" as in
"free beer", but "Free" as in "Free Speech". We released Qt/X11 under those
licenses, because it runs as major component on totally Free operating
systems, such as GNU/Linux and FreeBSD. Once Microsoft Windows is completely
open source, we will reconsider."

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-qt-interest@trolltech.com
[mailto:owner-qt-interest@trolltech.com]On Behalf Of Justin Karneges
Sent: Saturday, December 07, 2002 1:12 AM
To: qt-interest@trolltech.com
Subject: Re: Qt/Free for Windows

On Friday 06 December 2002 04:32 am, Patrick Stinson wrote:
> I hate to burst your bubble on the "trolls," but it is said on the
> trolltech website that a qt release like that (or any, for that matter) on
> windows does not follow suit with their business model. That is the reason
> that they have not, and do not intend to provide a free release, post-2.3.

Yes, I know.  However, I think their stance might be different in light of
this porting project.  It doesn't matter if Trolltech refuses to make a Free
version for Windows.  It is bad for them if such a port exists exists _at
all_, regardless if it comes from them or not.  I think Trolltech should
care
about this.

Really, the free software developers just want a more workable situation.
I'm
sure Trolltech could intervene with a solution for everyone, rather than
wait
for an independent effort that could be damaging to them.  If nobody was
trying, then yeah they probably wouldn't (and shouldn't) care.

-Justin