[Zope] Dumb question: Can Zope be used as a LDAP server?

Eron Lloyd elloyd@lancaster.lib.pa.us
Sun, 8 Dec 2002 11:37:24 -0500

I think this is probably my biggest concern with Zope...what does it want=
 to=20
be? With Twisted, it's simple--it wants to become as much as possible, as=
=20
integrated as possible, as soon as possible. The truth is, when developin=
g=20
network applications, you *will* usually need several different disparate=
=20
systems, like HTTP, IMAP, and LDAP. This is a big reason why platforms li=
ke=20
MS Exchange are so popular. Also, as in projects like KDE, users benefit =
from=20
the *tight* integration of it's applications. When building a Web communi=
ty,=20
for example, it would be much easier to configure and develop when the We=
b,=20
email, and messaging servers are all based on the same platform. Compared=
 to=20
using an Apache, Courier, Jabber combo, all having different needs,=20
administration, configuration, and communication facilities. So I guess t=
his=20
is why the conversation keeps coming back up...users *want* that level of=
=20
integration. Zope already has one foot in the door in this respect. So to=
 me,=20
it's never a matter of wheel re-invention, but a matter of integration an=
d=20
need. The old UNIX adage, "do one thing well" is pretty much a thing of t=
he=20
past.

Cheers,

Eron=20