[Zope] Dumb question: Can Zope be used as a LDAP server?

Jens Vagelpohl jens@ZOPE.COM
Sun, 8 Dec 2002 18:46:15 -0500

> Sorry, I like a common look and feel.

that's a laudable goal by itself

> I have been looking at all the available LDAP clients, and they all
> have
> their pro's and con's ( java, c, perl, python, web based, k or g).
> Looking
> at LDAP itself, I can't explain why we need it since we have so many
> things
> like it including Zope (or vice-versa depending on your point of view).

that last sentence does not make any sense. who is "we"? you can make
such a statement if "we" is limited to yourself, but that statement
definitely is not true if "we" is the zope user community as a whole.

> I been working on a comprehesive Linux Administration solution that
> doesn't
> jump you around to 12 different interfaces to get you what you need,
> unfortunately, this proves to be almost impossible.  Most people write
> non-intuitive interfaces (myself included), so I have ended up with a
> montley crew of utilities that do - what I consider to be,
> comprehensive
> Linux administration.

stuff like that is already around AFAIK. there's linuxconf and webmin,
for example.

> Okay, no more complaining.  I need only zope to provide minimal
> support for
> LDAP.  I guess that might include LDAP protocol, a port (389), and a
> way to
> suggest to zope that a directory is really LDAP and that objects are
> really
> LDAP objects.  And that's it. ( I make it sound easier than it is
> right? ).

yes, you make it easier than it sounds. the big deal is not just
opening a port and creating specialized "ldap directory" objects in
zope. the big deal is implementing the protocol to talk to ldap clients.

jens