[Zope] Intel vs AMD

Myroslav Opyr myroslav@zope.net.ua
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 02:58:04 +0200

Dennis Allison wrote:

>I have been running a dual processor AMD Athlon server with a 760-based
>Tyan motherboard, 2GB memory, 100GB disk, Redhat Linux 7.3 without probl=
em.
>I've watched for but have not seen any problems with the global interpre=
ter=20
>loc.  The workload seems to distribute over the processors without any p=
roblems.

I was told that cooling dual Athlon MP is difficult task and not=20
solution usually turns into 5-8 collers. People say that Intel solutions=20
has better thermal regime. But I am a bit suspicious 'bout Intel thermal=20
protection built into processor effectively cutting processor speed in a=20
half when overheeted. Thus with increased load on server there is=20
potential possibility with Intel solution to get dog-slow machine just=20
because processors are too hot...=20

>Uptime is currently a something like 5 months. We support several thousa=
nd
>users using Zope.

Excellent stats! It's a pity that you do not have similar Intel server=20
to compare throughput...

>The original installation of RH7.3 was painful because interrupts were b=
eing
>directed to the wrong processor on intial load.  Getting the intial load=
=20
>required the use of the magical, undocumented flag '-isys' at load-boot
>time.

Any news on progress in current releases?

m.
--=20
Myroslav Opyr
zope.net.ua <http://zope.net.ua/> =9C Ukrainian Zope Hosting