[Zope] Am I doing right?

catonano a.peluso@fulltrading.it
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 17:11:16 +0100

Hello all,

I'd love you to give me your opinion and some help about what follows.

I just downloaded Zope to my machine (MacOs X!!) and I'm an old style
mac user.

Now, I promised I'd have tried to realize a small solution for monday
morning.

I want a Zcatalogue to index some objects on the base of a property.

This property is the name of the file BUT the extension, for example:

code2.html        property:  code2
code88.html     property: code88

and so on.

That's because I want Zope to search for files whose code CONTAINS a
given string.
As far as I can tell, the standard machinery that comes with Zcatalogue
searches on the files names ONLY with exact corrispondence, since the
type of the file name property is ... well I don't remember.

The point is I thought to give each file with a property of the right
type so Zope could search adhering to my wishes.

Am I right?

Now these files are really a lot. Some users upload them to an ftp
folder and I should have a script that adds the property to each file
when it lands in my folder (AND fill it properly).

How do I do this? I looked at the Folder API but I didn't find a way to
detect a file arrival.

Should I use a Zclass instead? And how?

In the meantime I keep editing those files manually but I admit this
makes me feel quite dummy.

thanks so much for ANY hint
Bye
Catonano