[Zope] RE: Any comments from ex-PHP developers?

Frederic Faure ffaure@bigfoot.com
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 20:12:11 +0100

At 11:21 17/12/2002 -0500, "Wankyu Choi" <wankyu@neoqst.com> wrote:
>I don't consider myself an *ex*-PHP developer, but just wanted to share
>my thoughts.

Thx a bunch Wankyu for sharing you thoughts on PHP vs. Zope. As a matter of
fact, I'm playing with PHP + FastTemplate + MySQL, and it looks
interesting. I still need more about what Zope would offer in addition to this.

To sum up what you wrote:
Pro's
- Zope makes it easier to separate logic and presentation : honestly, I
don't see the difference between PHP scripts outsourcing display to
templates and Zope + DTML/ZPT
- Python is truly OOP : What is missing in PHP4? Multiple inheritance?

Con's
- there are a lot more PHP developers than Zope developers, hence more docs
and more help in case of need
- Zope uses its own DB instead of a filesystem. But then, nobody complains
when data are saved in other DBMS's, so why do they complain about ZODB?
- ZPT is a bit slow, but maybe as slow as PHP and some templating engines

Thx again
Fred.