[Zope] newbie: why can't I list directories under ftp on RH7.2?

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 00:02:46 +0100

Ray Peck writes:
 > I'm impressed with the
 > comprehensiveness of what's available in Zope and am happy to be here.
Nice to hear.

 > I've opened up port 8021 using ipchains to my local network, and I can
 > ftp to the server from localhost or from a Windows ftp client, and can
 > log in.  But I can't get a directory listing ("Unauthorized") or change
 > to directories that I thounk ought to be there ("/Diaries").  I haven't
 > been able to find any clues using Google.
When you get "Unauthorized", this suggests that it is a permission
problem.

  Zope will accept any "user" (FTP) command without check.

  Checks are done when you try to access an object (or folder).

It seems that the "user" (i.e. "login" information) is invalid
or the user does not have enough permissions to use the FTP
methods.

Dieter