[Zope] which one is better running zope with it own python or with the OS python

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 23:53:41 +0100

Hamzat Kamal writes:
 > Firstly, how do I
 > know if zope is using it own python or is using the python that come with
 > the OS.
You go to "Control_Panel --> Debug Information"
and look for "sys.path".

It lists the directories, Python looks for modules and packages.
These include the Python library.

When you see that the Python library is used from inside your
Zope installation, you use Zope's Python.
When it comes from "/usr/lib" or "/usr/local/lib", the standard
Python is used.

 > Secondly, which one will give me optimum performance? that is
 > running zope with it own python or with the OS python. And lastly, how do
 > i configure zope to either use it own python or OS python.
Generate your own Python from sources.

Binary distributions cannot be as much optimized as objects generated in
your environment.

  With SuSE Linux 7.3, I got a 50 % improvement (17 k pystones
  versus 11 k) when I forgot about the distributed Python and
  generated my own from the sources.

Dieter