[Zope] Very Strange FTP upload bug!

Adam Warner lists@consulting.net.nz
02 Feb 2002 02:27:12 +1300

On Sat, 2002-02-02 at 01:13, Chris Withers wrote:
> Adam Warner wrote:
> >
> > 426 Error creating file.
> >
> > If I edit the file and replace every '<' with an '_' then I can upload
> > it!
>
> Sounds like your file is being uploaded into a DTML method which the DTML parser
> doesn't like. I'm sure someone had patches to make this error message more
> useful, I just don't know where they went :-S
>
> If someone can dig the patches up, I'd be happy to integrate them...

Chris, I think the issue is deeper than just a more informative error
message.

If I can't robustly upload files to a zope database using FTP then I may
have to reevaluate this specific use of zope. All I uploaded was some
HTML source. If zope can't cope with that then I can't easily use it to
archive HTML source material.

If I was uploading to a filesystem this problem wouldn't arise. Sure I'd
still have an issue about serving the correct MIME type but I could
solve that using Apache defaults.

It appears that Zope's trying to be too clever. Textual content should
be able to be uploaded via FTP. Not rejected because of an overly
exuberant DTML parser.

Regards,
Adam