[Zope] Re : Zope on solaris for the beginner.

Hannu Krosing hannu@krosing.net
02 Feb 2002 00:36:51 +0500

On Fri, 2002-02-01 at 19:22, Dario Lopez-Kasten wrote:

> >    Why? Even Python 1.5.2 with multithreading works for me on Solaris
> > 2.5.1.
> >
> > Oleg.
> > --
> >      Oleg Broytmann            http://phd.pp.ru/            phd@phd.pp.ru
>

> There are strange, core-dumping problems and threadrealted issues with
> pythons post 1.5.2 afaik, both performace wise and otherwise.
>
> Check the archives of zope and zope-dev. I myself generated a lot of the
> messages. And, recently (this or last week) there have been more reports of
> Solaris related problems...
>
> It seems that Zope is more susceptible to these problems than other python
> software. I don't really know why but I suspect that Zope is one of there
> larger python apps out there and thus suffers more than other apps from
> shortcomings.
>
> I haven't heard of realted problems from the Twisted copmmunity, but then I
> suspect that not too many of them use solaris on a daily basis (this is only
> an assumption mind you, I might very well be wrong).

The main problem I had was about asyncore getting signals from exiting
childs of os.popen, as solaris delivered these to the first waiting
thread and not the thread that had spawned the child.

It had a simple 2 or 3 line fix.

I also have some problems with database (oracle) transactions never
committing/aborting but I have these on linux/postgresql as well, so
this is not solaris specific.

Hannu