[Zope] Custom 404 html message

Chris A. Bruce cbruce@sleeter.com
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 10:34:53 -0800

This goes to show that there are many ways to do cool things in Zope.  =
Everybody has their own way of doing something!

Chris Bruce

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Barrett [mailto:R.Barrett@ftel.co.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2002 7:08 AM
To: Chris Withers
Cc: zope@zope.org
Subject: Re: [Zope] Custom 404 html message

At 11:45 19/02/2002 +0000, Chris Withers wrote:
>Richard Barrett wrote:
> >
> > I take it this is the ZPT whose description and examples of use =
feature so
> > strongly in all of the books on Zope that have been published to =
date.

>Well look, if you wanna make an unmaintainable mess that comes back to=20
>bite you
>next time your employer asks you for something on short notice, then =
stick=20
>with
>DTML, I'm just trying to help you out.

How do you reach the conclusion that editing either the sole copy of=20
standard_error_message in the server tree or positioning an edited =
version=20
of standard_error_message at a strategic point in the server tree to =
affect=20
error handling below it is creating the unmaintainable mess you are =
talking=20
about?

If that is the case then I suspect there are a lot bigger problems =
extant=20
on most Zope servers.

If DTML is such a disaster then a whole lot of people are a long way =
along=20
the path to oblivion by now. Hell of a time to tell us it was all a big=20
mistake.

>No, it doesn't feature in any paper books currently published (well, =
that's
>actually not true, it's in at least one or two of the Zope books I've=20
>seen) but
>that's 'cos they were all written about 6 months ago.

The Zope Book - no mention

Zope web application construction kit by Brockman et al - no mention

Zope ... - Spicklemire et all - has a short description which is =
sufficient=20
to highlight the learning curve to adopt "These powerful and promising=20
technologies ..."

>It does have plenty of examples (including Peter's guide to turning =
common=20
>DTML
>idioms into ZPT) and the language reference in the wiki is all I've =
needed.

> > What was that you said? Oh, you mean that I have to spend _all_ my =
time
> > keeping abreast of where Zope is going and all of its great new
> > developments and shouldn't be doing anything else.
>
>It's not like I suggested you should be using Zope 3 or something. If =
you=20
>wanna
>be sarcy, then fine, but don't expect much help from people who aren't =
getting
>paid to answer questions on this list in future.

I doubt anybody posting to this list is getting paid for it. If what I =
say=20
in a post is wrong then I suggest you EXPLAIN why. Remember you chose to =

express a value judgement with your *vomit* comment, not offer a fact. =
Hell=20
I'll happily unsubscribe myself than get that sort of "help".

The alternative you offered involved writing a python script and a page=20
template and maybe doing a Zope upgrade as the alternative to using some =

simple DTML. The new orthodoxy may say that is better but I'm some way =
from=20
being convinced of it.