[Zope] Saving files to zope using Dreamweaver?

Paul Browning paul.browning@bristol.ac.uk
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 07:01:10 -0000

--On 26 February 2002 19:39 -0700 Enoch Norton <enochsnorton@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> I am a really new user of Zope. In going through the Zope book I am
> stumped in the following section. I seem to be missing some very
> important key piece of information. I have tried to save my Dreamweaver
> templates to the ../index_html/source.html. However because index_html is
> not a folder the ftp client in Dreamweaver will not allow me to access
> the url. I guess I don't understand how one is supposed to save a file to
> a URL when the file.Save As.. option is dependent upon directories. If
> anyone has some insight to offer please let me know.

I have to say (and I may be missing something fundamental here) that the
source.html stuff seems like a red herring.

What you need to do is have Dreamweaver access the webdav_source_port
(so you get the unrendered DTML or ZPT code - search the list archives
for more information about this). There's a proto-HowTo on using DW at:

http://lib-srvr5.lib.bris.ac.uk:20080/zpt_test/weweb/dw4zope.pt

This is also part of me learning how to use ZPT and so to understand why
this page looks like it does see:

http://lib-srvr5.lib.bris.ac.uk:20080/zpt_test/weweb/howto.htm

When I'm more confident I'm doing the right things I'll move these
on to the Zope site.

I've played with GoLive too. I don't like the way DW forces you to
work with a local and remote site - GoLive is nicer in this respect
in that it allows you to edit the remote site directly. But DW has
a more intuitive interface in terms of editing pages IMHO.

Now: a question of others who've been using DW or GoLive - are you
doing it over SSL? Both seem broken when it comes to https URLs.

I've had some success using WebDrive 5.0 over SSL (version 4 doesn't
work) but _only_ with GoLive. Dreamweaver insists on changing the
mime-type of any ZPT is saves via WebDrive. Amazingly even FrontPage
becomes a useful and benign ZPT wysiwyg editor when used via
WebDrive!

Any workarounds (or suggestions of same) for the DW-WebDrive problem
(or inside information about when DW or GoLive are going to
support secure protocols) greatly appreciated.

Paul

--
 The Library, Tyndall Avenue, Univ. of Bristol, Bristol, BS8 1TJ, UK
   E-mail: paul.browning@bristol.ac.uk  URL: http://www.bris.ac.uk/