[Zope] external method vs product?

Keith J. Farmer kfarmer@thuban.org
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 02:24:56 -0800

I've got a process on my zope site that involves retrieving external web
pages, manipulating them, and returning them to the client.  The current
implementation of this uses external methods.  However, I notice that
there's a large time-overhead involved in what I guess must be the
python process starting up.  If I switch these to regular products, will
that overhead still exist, or should I expect (relatively) instant
response?

I'm running on win32.  There's another process that involves loading a
dll to perform some database retrievals and statistical operations.  In
the python interpreter, it doesn't have any trouble at all.  As an
external method, it seems to enjoy restarting zope most (but not all) of
the time.  Could I possibly hope for better behavior if it's turned into
a regular product?

Keith J. Farmer
kfarmer@thuban.org
http://www.thuban.org