[Zope] Zope Book review and Zope Linkfest available at www.skippingdot.net

Shane McChesney shane@wesearchis.com
Tue, 08 Jan 2002 12:07:04 -0500

Hi all,

Longtime listener, first time caller...

I launched a site last month called Skipping Dot Net, subtitled "Building Next-Generation
Web Services and Apps Without Paying The Microsoft Tax".

As you might guess from that, it's all about advocating alternatives to MS technologies,
especially open source approaches, and especially what I see as the really good ones
like Python and Zope.

I'm not a Python or Zope guru, not by a long shot, but I'm learning as fast as I can,
because we're working to migrate all of our existing ASP/VB apps to Zope ASAP.

As part of my learning process, I'm reading and reviewing every Zope book published,
and I started that effort with a review of the (first) Zope Book by Amos Latteier & Michel
Pelletier. That review can be found here:

http://www.skippingdot.net/2001/12/20

If you think it might be of any use to you, feel free to give it a read. I'll be reviewing the
Zope Web Application Construction Kit from Sams later in January and The Book of Zope
from No Starch Press in February.

In addition to those, there are three more Zope books coming out in the near future, for a
total of six, and I'll review each of them as soon as I can get my hands on them and read
them cover to cover. The list of upcoming books and my pile of other Zope links is at:

http://www.skippingdot.net/2001/12/19

There's also a review of Programming Web Services With XML-RPC (O'Reilly) at:

http://www.skippingdot.net/2001/12/14

I'm updating the linkfest regularly as I come across new resources, so if there's anything
you think I should add, just let me know. I'm sure I'm missing plenty.

In addition to Python and Zope, I'm covering XML-RPC, SOAP, RSS, Jabber, and
weblogging technologies to the best of my abilities -- or more accurately, to improve my
abilities. The intersections of all these things, like Zope & Jabber together, XML-RPC and
Zope, SOAP on a Zope, are what I'm most excited about for my projects and my clients.

Any feedback, links or advice that could help me get up to speed in these areas would
be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time and your mental bandwidth,

Shane McChesney
President,
Wesearch Information Services Inc.

Contact Details: