[Zope] ISO-Splitter again: German Umlaute

Joachim Werner joe@iuveno-net.de
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 19:16:22 +0100

Sorry, I haven't had the time to look into the Splitter code yet. So that's
why I am asking again:

I don't get the concept of having to specifiy the locale at Zope startup for
the catalog to work properly. What happens if I WANT en_US locale settings
in general, but the catalog should be able to handle French, German, or
Spanish words? How can I build multi-lingual Zope systems with that concept?

Shouldn't the catalog always split words correctly? I am not talking about
languages like Japanese that have a different concept of splitting. Those
need a different splitter code of course. But is there ANY reason why German
Umlauts or other language-specific special characters are supposed to be
splitting characters, other than that the programmers of the original
splitter code might have taken the easy way of making all characters that
are not A-Z splitting characters?

Cheers

Joachim