[Zope] Re: Moderate this list?

RobinS.Socha RobinS.Socha
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 07:10:04 -0500

* zopestoller  <zopestoller@thomas-guettler.de> writes:
> Nagy Gabor <linux42@freemail.c3.hu> schrieb am 11.01.2002, 10:33:31:
>> On 02-Jan-10 14:41, Martijn Pieters wrote:

>> > I am a moderator on this list, and Mailman (the mailinglist
>> > software) catches 90% of all spam sent to this list, as well as
>> > virii. I am looking into methods for further reducing the amount
>> > that gets through. Moderating *every* message on this list is
>> > not practical however. I am not going to click "approve" 150
>> > times a day.

Then you're running the wrong MLM. I know, because I'm forced to use it,
too: http://mail.socha.net/story/2001/12/5/7642/23321#tocref5

Mailman sucks very big things through very small things. Recent versions
of Mailman support CLI interaction, though. If you'd like to risk your
mail, that is. Barry, if you're reading this: no offense intended, y'know?
:-)

>> Wouldn't it be OK to allow only subscribed people to post to the
>> list?

> I prefere open lists where everybody kann post. Sometimes you just
> want to sent one message to the list, sometimes you post from another
> account.

I beg to differ. If your MUA does not allow for changing settings per
group/list, it's broken. Gnus or mutt are the tools of choice.

> I have an idea how to stop spammers: Only subscribered people can post,
> if someone who is not on the list wants to post he has to include a
> magic word in the subject. This way unsubscribed humans can post and
> spam robots can't.

If Mailman wasn't that utterly broken, one could set up a
subscriber-only sublist of an open list. But, eh, it's Mailman. The
keyword idea is not new, and it sucks. People not capable of subscribing
to a list are also usually not able to insert a keyword into a
header. And then you get the "I want to post to $LIST with $CRAP_MUA
from $LUSER_ISP and it $BRAINDEAD_ERROR_REPORT". Been there, done that.

> I don't know if mailman can do this.

Mailman can do anything. It will hurt a little, though...