[Zope] inherit folder objects

Jerry McRae Jerry McRae <jerry@usd1.com>
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 13:58:49 -0800

Hi Zopeople,

Couldn't find anything in archives.  This seems like it is possible, but
I cannot get my mind around it.  Anyone have any ideas (if my question
makes sense)?

Is there a folder structure I can set up that will allow me to inherit
all the objects in another structure?

Transparent & Mirrowing (Mirroring) Folders work *if you know what you
are looking for*. I need to have objectIds() return ALL items in the
folder AND its 'super' folder. I can inherit any single folder easily,
but since this creates a deeper URL, this defeats the usability aspect.
I want the users to be able to use a single name for a whole set,
whether some objects in the set come from somewhere else or not.

E.G. I have folder HOUSE that contains 10 folders, some of which contain
other sub-folders. This will have user interfaces, so that they can see
all folders and objects, add, delete, or change folders and objects,
change parameters, then press the 'build-it' button in the HOUSE folder,
and something happens.  All objects in HOUSE are processed, and other
folderish objects are also processed.  No problem.

Now, the user wants to create HOUSEBOAT, which inherits everything from
HOUSE.  I want them to be able to:
1) remove objects - delete Processes/Foundation and Materials/Cement
2) change objects - change Cost in Prereq/Permits/County
3) add objects - add Prereq/Permits/Mooring
-so far, a cut/paste would work-
4) change when HOUSE changes - when Labor/Workers changes in HOUSE, it
should be reflected in HOUSEBOAT.
5) allow creating TwoStoryHouseBoat, inheriting from HOUSEBOAT

TIA

--Jerry
 /\_/\    Jerry McRae       \|||/       mail safely: The Bat! 1.53d
(~o o~)  (stuck in win98)   (. .)       Zope v2.4.1  - dryer than golf
(     ) / If I had a nickel for every time Windows crashes... Oh yea, I do!
          --Bill Gates