[Zope] Static fail-over

Philippe Jadin all@123piano.com
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 09:50:36 +0100

Chris McDonough wrote:

>>Is there a way to use URL Rewriting rules in Apache (with
>>mod_rewrite) to test if a particular box was alive, and only if so, direct
>>traffic there?  Maybe have it look if a particular file exists (or some
>>such)?
>>

>If you find out, please let me know, that sounds very useful!

Looking at the http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/rewriteguide.html , it
seems you can use perl scripts to control mod_rewrite behavior. This
should give interesting opportunities for this kind of file checking stuff.

"""
A FAQ: How can we solve the FOO/BAR/QUUX/etc. problem? There seems no
solution by the use of mod_rewrite...
Solution:
Use an external rewrite map, i.e. a program which acts like a rewrite
map. It is run once on startup of Apache receives the requested URLs on
STDIN and has to put the resulting (usually rewritten) URL on STDOUT
(same order!).
"""

Philippe