[Zope] Script Errors

Thomas B. Passin tpassin@mitretek.org
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 15:22:30 -0500

[<MarkM@Yogananda-SRF.org>]

> I'm trying out a website example from the beehive Zope book.  I get 2
errors
> when typing in the code:
>
> 1.  "__version__" is an invalid variable name because it starts with "_"

Zope does Python, but it often does a lot of specialized things before
handing something off.  In this case,  Zope use names starting with
underscores for private purposes and intercepts your efforts to use them
yourself.  So you may not be able to do some things you can do in straight
Python.

> 2.  import of "MessageDialog" from "Globals" is unauthorized
>
> Why is the use of "_" an error?  I can understand about the 'import
error',
> but I don't know where "Globals" is coming from.  This is probably a
beehive
> py file?

"Globals" is being found, but most modules can't be directly imported for
security reasons.  There is documented machinery for telling Zope to let you
do it anyway, though - you should be able to find it in Scripts-related
documentation.  Or it may be a matter of adding some permissions to your
role, but I'm not sure about that.

Cheers,

Tom P