[Zope] Static fail-over

Thu, 24 Jan 2002 14:49:11 -0800

In a load-distributed system (i.e. round robin, or anything that is
load-balancing without detection of an out-of-service web node), you need to
manage availability yourself, and this sucks for clusters of web nodes
larger than 2, because you have to set them up in a ring, using IP takeover.
The problem with this, say in a 3 node setup, is that if n1 fails, and n2
and n3 are still alive, one or the other of n2 or n3 will need to take on
n1's load - they can't split it.

In a true load-balanced arrangement, the forward LB/Proxy will detect that a
box is out, and remove it from the pool.  This is ideal for a lot of nodes.
It sounds to me like Squid+Zope+ICP sounds like the best way to do this, of
course, with the use of monitoring software like mon as well.

In the case of a 2-node cluster, IP takeover is easier and cheaper; but this
doesn't scale well for HTTP traffic, given the alternative of load-balancing
is better.

The new setup I plan on using for future projects is a pair of load-balanced
proxy servers balanced with a L4 switch with direct packet return, a feature
of my L4 switch which has a speed advantage over a proxied approach; the
downside to this is that I have to manage availability of my proxy server
boxes themselves; I do this with IP-takeover based software like heartbeat,
which fills this niche very well.  I also use IP takeover for my relational
database, file serving, and ZEO storage server setups.  The only tier of
this setup that will not be managed by IP takeover clustering will be the
web servers themselves, which will be managed by the 2 proxy servers acting
in a capacity of a load-balancer (Squid+Zope+ICP patches).

             | ^
             v |
         >[Router]<
        /    |     \
       /     v      \
      / [L4Switch ]  \       Hardware Load-Balancer
     /   |        |   \
DMZ  |   v        v   |
====[Cache1]:::::[Cache2]  -->Squid Proxies
Private  |        |        For Caching, LoadBalancing,
Netwk    |        |        security, and availability
         |        |        of web servers
        _|________|_        -Clustered w/Heartbeat
    [n1] [n2] [n3] [n*]    -->Web Servers - Availability
           |               -->Storage Svrs.(ZSS/RDB/File)
           |               Primary and Hot Backup
           |                  Clustering w/Heartbeat
      [Storage1]:::::::::[Storage2]

I hope this makes sense and/or is helpful in some way... I think it is a
good generic blueprint for a relatively scalable setup for a large site.

Sean