[Zope] FYI: KDE CVS has WebDAV support now!

Joachim Werner joe@iuveno-net.de
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 14:17:24 +0100

Hi!

Thanks for the additional infos!

I just checked yesterday: OpenOffice supports WebDAV natively, too.

> -> better than using Zope on the Windows plattform, as WebDAV/Webfolders
are
> -> not integrated the same way WebDAV will be in KDE (i.e. seamless open
and
> -> save from ANY KDE program).
>
> Some notes:
>
> WebDAV is 'natively' supported under MS-WindowsXP and Mac OS X.

I don't know about XP, but in the older Windows versions, WebDAV is NOT
available from the standard open/save dialog. Only the advanced open/save
dialogs of MS Office (and probably some third-party programs) have the
WebDAV features enabled. To use WebDAV directly from, let's say, Wordpad,
you'll need a tool like WebDrive on those platforms.

> Also, there is already a Linux WebDAV filesystem (that lets you 'mount' a
> WebDAV drive) which does not require KDE.

That's right. But the WebDAV filesystem is limited to what a filesystem can
do. E.g. I guess that you can't extend it to expose all the properties of an
object via WebDAV, or even make locking work? With KDE's kio_slaves, all
that is possible. The other reason for doing it on the KDE level is that
installing an alternative file system driver is not what an average user
will be capable of , but getting KDE to work is (as soon as there are
ready-to-use RPMs of KDE 3 beta 2).

Cheers

Joachim