[Zope] External Method Question

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 19:15:39 +0100

Tim Owen writes:
 > ... External Method ...
 > >>>

 > def valid_email(address, debug=None):
 > Zope Error
 > Zope has encountered an error while publishing this resource.
 >
 > Error Type: SyntaxError
 > Error Value: invalid syntax (email_checker.py, line 1)
Apparently, you did nothing wrong. At least, it is not obvious.

But the problem must be really easy to fix:

  Python is unable to parse your code. It find a syntactical
  error in line 1.

  I assume the ">>>" is not really in your code. If it were, this
  would be the problem.

  Otherwise, Python is very sensitive to indentation. Your code
  must start in column 1 (when you start counting with 1).

Run the Python interpreter on your file:

    python email_checker.py

If it complains about the syntax, you need to find the reason and
fix it. If not, there has been a very short lived bug in Zope
that let it have problems with "\r\n" line endings (i.e. Windows like
line endings). A Zope upgrade may remove the problem in this case.
But it is not very likely, that you have precisely this Zope version...

Dieter