[Zope] Folder with one million Documents?

Stephan Goeldi stephan.goeldi@datacomm.ch
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 10:16:23

> > You also will REALLY need some nice hardware.  I would suggest the
>fastest
> > box you can get with LOTS of RAM.  I would look at something along the
>lines
> > of a Dual Athlon 2000+ (P-rated, not MHz) box with 3-4 GB RAM, and a
>striped
> > RAID volume of fast disks.

No serious web hoster would make use of a RAID-0 on a productive server!
When you speak of striping (alias RAID-0) insecurity is at least doubled,
because when 1 harddisc crashes, the data is lost on both discs. RAID-1, 5
or 10 would be better.

RAID-1 mirrors the disks and improves READ performance (because the data can
be read from at least two discs at the same time). RAID-5 gives less
performance improvement but at least more than without any RAID. RAID-5
needs at least 3 discs and uses an algorithm to recover data from a crashed
disc. RAID-10 is a combination of RAID-0 and RAID-1.

Does anybody have comparisons of the performance of Zope in these different
RAID environments? Our Zope Hosting bases on a RAID-5 solution, because it
seemed us to be a good combination of performance and security.

Stephan

Swiss Quality Zope Hosting
http://www.zopehosting.ch/
iEXPO 02: 6th - 8th februar 2002 in Zurich
Exhibition hall 1 boot 124
demonstrations of Zope and CMF