[Zope] Zope & OpenOffice

Oliver Bleutgen myzope@gmx.net
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 19:22:22 +0100

Bogdan M.Maryniuck wrote:

> On Monday 28 January 2002 09:58 am, Joachim Werner wrote:
>
>>Just as a side note: OpenOffice is written entirely in C/C++.
>>
> That's reason why it starts 5 sec faster then StarOffice 5.2. ;-) But in
> anyway, it still Java stuff.

Nope, it isn't. Go to openoffice.org, there are several places where you can
read the OO is C++, one quote from an faq:

    How much source code is there?

    OpenOffice.org source will have approx. 20,000 source files.
    OpenOffice.org will have approx.  7,600,000 lines of code. The majority of the code is C++.

>>It is not at
>>all Java-based.
>>
> Hmm... AFAIK it actualy is. It's same StarOffice, with new filters and less
> GUI. Otherwise it can't be crossplatform...

Really? But then kde, gnome, perl, python etc. are also written in Java?

>>There are Java-based versions that use the C++ libraries,
>>
> Hmm... It's really interesting -- if we can import this stuff into Python, it
> should be cool. Suppose Zope-based StarCalc (I'm serious -- why not?)...

Hehe, funny you mention that:

http://polysorbate.org/?work/openoffice

cheers,

oliver