[Zope] MySQL and Zope products problems

Richard Hewison richard.hewison@luton.ac.uk
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 08:53:42 GMT

We have recently tried to install MySQL on our server (SuSE Linux 7.3
based) as well as a few Zope products (ZMySQLDA, SQL Blender). The
first signs of things not working was when the ZMySQLDA was showing up
in Zope 2.4.3 as a broken product. Looking at the server itself indicated an
import error during the starting up of Zope:
"Zope could not import Products.ZMySQLDA" and "ImportError: No
module named _mysql"
We've installed an rpm of MySQL (v3.23.47-1) for Linux as well as
MySQL Python v0.9.0 (which we had to build and install as it wasn't a
binary version). According to the instructions for ZMySQLDA, it says: "If
you are using a binary package of Zope, you need run setup.py with Zope's
python executable. Otherwise, Zope (ZMySQLDA) will not be able to find
_mysql.".
What exactly does this mean when it talks about "...Zope's python
executable"? The description above sounds exactly like our error, but we're
not sure how to proceed. As you can probably tell, we're neither Linux,
Python or Zope experts in this area!
Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Richard H.