[Zope] Unexplained restart on add

Charlie Reiman creiman@kefta.com
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 09:53:29 -0700

With all due respect, these machines don't sound nearly identical at all.
Having said that, I can provide a little help.

The mysterious restarting is from the -Z option in the start script. Disable
the debugging option (-D) and enable the watchdog (-Z watchdog.pid) on your
development server. You will now have a watchdog zope monitoring and
restarting the actual working zope (when it dies, of course). Check the
source in z2.py for all the startup options.

My suspicion is that you need to look into permissions. Your product might
be doing something that it can't do when run as nobody.

If you are completely lost, set aside a huge hunk of disk space and try it
running under truss. That should tell you what system call, if any, croaked
your system. You will probably need to run under -D, no -Z, to keep zope
under one process. And, of course, you won't be able to use the startup
script. And, of couse, I'm assuming you have truss at your disposal.

Good luck. Hopefully someone else will have better advice.

Charlie Reiman