[Zope] Re: BTreeFolder

Mon, 15 Jul 2002 14:53:51 +0100

On Monday 15 Jul 2002 2:40 pm, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Magnus Heino wrote:
> > Whats the reason for not using this instead of the current folder cod=
e,
> > as default? Size?
>
> Are you talking about making all folders hold their items in BTrees?
> That's kind of hard for Zope 2 because of all the backward compatibilit=
> issues, but I think it's on the plan for Zope 3.

I dont think we would want to use BTrees for *every* folder; they have a=20
significant overhead compared to ordinary Folders which makes them=20
unattractive for folders that hold a small number of subobjects. I guess =
the=20
break-even point is around where the BTree doesnt all fit into one bucket=
,=20
which is several hundred items if I remember correctly.

It would be nice to have Folders that automagically upgraded themselves t=
o=20
BTreeFolders once some size threshold was exceeded.