[Zope] [HELP] Choice of a NT server

Chris McDonough chrism@zope.com
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 12:46:33 -0400

> Hello,
>
> I have a question about wich processor/memory, etc.. i should use
in order
> to run my Zope Site :

As fast as possible, as much memory as you can afford. ;-)

> In fact, i have no idea about the style of server that i should
buy in
> order to run my site properly. My site (a commercial extranet)
whill be
> used by 300 users, and i do think that there will be 80 users
concurently
> (simultaneous). They will just browse the Web pages and sometimes
download
> files (MS Office).

I would recommend that you run this on some UNIX variant instead of
NT/2000 if you intend to use a front-end webserver.  Zope interfaces
better with Apache on UNIX than IIS on Windows, allowing it to run
much faster (in a multithreaded mode).  It's possible to use Apache
on Windows, but I'm not sure if it's as stable as the UNIX versions.

And then of course, there's the "religious" argument: NT crashes, NT
is slower, etc. etc. I dont buy this in lots of cases, but for Zope,
its development is done almost solely on Linux.  It always helps to
be running on the OS that the software is developed under to avoid
heretofore-unforeseen problems.  (As an example, Windows 3.1 ran
great on Compaq Deskpro 486's but failed miserably on other
machines.. that's because it was developed almost solely on these
particular machines ;-)

- C