[Zope] Tracking Users in Zope

Oliver Bleutgen myzope@gmx.net
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 10:58:28 +0200

Chris McDonough wrote:
>>Regarding the analysis of resulting data I would leverage existing
>>analysis tools. If you make the External method write the log data
>
> in
>
>>'combined Apache http log format' you will be able to use wusage
>
> (it's
>
>>shareware) which does what you want.
>

> Really?  It analyzes traffic patterns with session ids in them?  I
> didn't think the combined format had a "slot" for session ids.  I
> think it definitely needs to be custom.
>

>>Is there a free http log analysis tool which can do user behaviour
>
> tracking?
>
> There may be something along with mod_usertrack in Apache, I'm not
> sure.

wusage indeed does use a custom format if you want usertracking, the
last column gets the unique cookie value. And it indeed uses
mod_usertrack of apache.

I think a good and simple solution would be to use apache as a frontend
and indeed let mod_usertrack do the work. Write the cookie value into
apaches logfiles (this is simple with a custom log) and analyse that. I
guess in this case the analysis itself might be the real work, so why
bother with the NIH syndrom.

cheers,
oliver