[Zope] Serving Files from Filesystem

Thierry Florac thierry.florac@onf.fr
24 Jul 2002 15:28:47 +0200

On Wed, 2002-07-24 at 14:53, Thomas Guettler wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I want to make files from the filesystem down- and uploadable
> via browser.
>
> It is needed for a python product. No TTH editing, dtml or zpt.
>
> Which products are available?
>
> A quick search revealed:
>
> +ExtFile
> +ExternalFile
>
> What are the pros and cons?

I'm using ExternalFile product for a while now and I'm quite happy with
it ; it allows you to define links to files which can be placed anywhere
on your filesystem, which files can be already existing or created on
the fly throught upload forms.
You can also make these files "behave_like" other products (File, Image,
DTML Method or DTML Document), just to store these objects on disk
instead of into the ZODB, but while still being able, for example, to
catalog them easilly.

I think ExtFile is referencing files present in a given subdirectory
only, and provides less options with optional behaviours...

  Thierry