[Zope] Impossibly long urls

Paul Winkler pw_lists@slinkp.com
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 11:17:41 -0400

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 10:51:31PM +1000, David Beech wrote:
> The objective is (for example) to call a Python script as the
> action of a form element, do some work with the form fields,
> populate the REQUEST with results and then (via the return
> statement) push a page back to the user, in brief:
>
> 1 Web client views form, fills form fields, submits form
> 2 Submit calls Python script
> 3 Script does database op
> 4 Script returns another web page

For step 4, I usually do a
REQUEST.RESPONSE.redirect(url_of_final_display_page)

In this case, it's not a problem that I lose the REQUEST
when I go to the new page, as Chris warned, because the script
has already done everything I need to do with REQUEST data,
storing in the ZODB if necessary, and my final display page
just reads anything it needs from the ZODB. (Would work
with any other data store too, of course ... sql or whatever).

--

Paul Winkler
home:  http://www.slinkp.com