[Zope] configuring Pythonwin for "import Zope"

Jeff Kowalczyk jtk@yahoo.com
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 11:34:29 -0400

> - cd to your Zope's lib/python directory
> - invoke python (the version that you compiled Zope with)
> - at the interactive prompt type "import Zope"

This has been such a useful tip. I've spent the better part of two days
poking around in python console learning a lot more about python and Zope's
objects than I did trying to make products with edit-refresh-traceback
cycles. The mistakes I was making with with import and from import jump out
at you right away. Great stuff.

I would like to step it up to use Pythonwin for more experimentation, The
browsing and code-complete features should make it a lot of fun. I've got
Pythonwin 147 installed into my zope's python (used the registry editor to
make a python2.1 entry mimicing that of python2.2, so the installer finds
it). If you set the Pythonwin to startup in that dir, you can't load the
IDE.

I added the path c:\progra~1\zope\lib\python to the Python Path, but I can't
"import Zope". I can browse those classes in the Python Path, but they
interactive prompt doesn't see the \lib\python heirarchy, unless there's
some special syntax to refer to it that I haven't seen yet.

PythonWin's PythonPath setting
C:\PROGRA~1\Zope\bin\Lib;C:\PROGRA~1\Zope\bin\DLLs;
C:\PROGRA~1\Zope\lib\python

>>> import Zope
Traceback (most recent call last):
ImportError: No module named Zope