[Zope] Elvis and Zope : Is the Elvis Lives tutorial a mistake?

Jan Smith jan@curpheymedia.com
Mon, 3 Jun 2002 20:22:56 +1000

Newbies to Zope are encouraged to work through the Elvis Lives tutorial

I completed Elvis Lives DTML tutorial about a year ago and have been
dabbling in Zope/DTML fairly bumpily since.

The high priests of code say forget DTML and give very solid reasons for
using Zope Page Templates and incorporating some python scripts when
necessary.  The major reason they argue is that the code will be clean and
easy to maintain, DTML can quickly become a confused mess when you go back
to update or make a change. Python they encourage is a good first
programming language to learn.

Zope is moving away from DTML towards ZPT so perhaps it's time recast Elvis
into a ZPT tutorial format.  Many Zope newbies come from a design or html
background it would be nice for us to be pointed in the right direction from
the start.

Waiting at traffic lights in Beale St Memphis I had a near Elvis experience.
I heard Elvis and a woman talking behind me. I turned around and saw a fat
tall bald guy in his sixties chatting to his partner.  On my second day in
Memphis I realised nearly all local men spoke like Elvis.

I tried to discover Zope Zen via DTML but haven't quite made it. With a good
Elvis Lives ZPT tutorial I may not only be able to hear Elvis I may be able
to see him as well  :)

Jan Smith
webmster OzZope - Australia
http://www.ozzope.org