[Zope] Subclassing Folder

Dan Shafer pydan@danshafer.com
Mon, 03 Jun 2002 15:34:27 -0700

At 04:45 PM 6/3/2002 -0400, Chris McDonough wrote:
> > On page 5, "XXX is this true? I thought that any ExtensionClass.Base
> can be
> > acquired. The Implicit and Explicit just control how the class can
> acquire,
> > not how it *is* acquired." I have no idea what that means, but it makes me
> > wonder if the code examples that use Acquisition.Implicit, e.g., are going
> > to work. And if they don't, how would I know?
>
>I see these comments.  They actually aren't supposed to be there and I
>will delete them.  Please ignore the comments that make you queasy for
>now.

OK, I will. Thanks.

>If you have a specific question about how to create a Product, there are
>plenty of folks here who will be happy to help you.  You could of course
>use a ZClass also.

That's what I started out to use on a couple of projects but I had several
people on this list warn me that ZClasses are not very robust, are quite
difficult to use and perhaps even buggy. I was warned not to use them
except for fairly toy-sized apps. Was that too harsh a judgement?

Back when I was deciding what Web development platform to "bet on" for my
future application work, I spent a LOT of time looking at options. I
settled on Zope principally because it used Python (which I didn't yet know
but which I could see from my background was going to be a very
approachable and clean language to use) and because it was object-oriented
and extensible using ZClasses. Zope has been very satisfying for all of the
site development work I've done but I've tried three different
applications, ranging from moderately complex to what seemed to me to be
simple, and it has just refused to yield success. In the first case, I was
able to find what I'd call a satisfactory workaround, using built-in Zope
objects and muscling them around with brute force in Python scripts. But it
doesn't feel very object-oriented at all and I'm not feeling like the
solutions are at all elegant.

Perhaps it's just that my expectations of Zope were too grandiose. And now
I've spent so much time trying to master it that I hate to start learning
something else. But as helpful as this list can be, sometimes I think maybe
I'm just in over my head.