[Zope] my product learning curve

Simon Michael simon@joyful.com
Tue, 04 Jun 2002 13:04:53 -0700

Dan - for what it's worth, here's how my zope product learning curve went.

I probably had it easier than some - there was an existing product that
was quite similar to mine - DTML Document. I copied this, changed the
meta_type, and got it showing up in the ZMI etc. Then I started making
modifications, tackling problems and gradually learned more about how it
worked. I've kept doing that ever since.

When I hit problems I would search for insights in the docs and would
learn something, but never used them as my main guide (the books didn't
exist then). I would also search the lists for clues (these days I would
probably turn to #zope first).

I didn't have a really usable debug setup until recently (using ZEO).  I
would say this is a must, or failing that at least set up a comfortable
way to print debug messages. When testing/debugging you end up using a
complex cocktail of web browsers/code windows/editors/server control
windows and you need to develop a feel for when things need refreshing,
when you are really not looking at the code you thought you were because
of a syntax error, etc.

It's still often frustrating, and makes me miss the relative simplicity of
smalltalk, but for now I don't see any other platform providing what zope
does, as well as it does.

Cheers,
-Simon