[Zope] Python Product Creation Demystified

Dan Shafer pydan@danshafer.com
Wed, 05 Jun 2002 15:03:15 -0700

I must say that Max M's contribution at least to *my* little corner of
Zopedom has been stupendous! As those of you who read the list regularly
know, I've been struggling with the paradigm for how best to build real Web
apps and services in the Zope world for some time. Having had a bad false
start with zClasses, I took an all-Python approach using the built-in
architecture of Zope internal objects. That worked OK but was decidedly
inelegant and lacked reusability.

Lots of people recommended Python products. I read Chapter 3 of the ZDG and
a few other resources and the more I read the more confused I became.

Max M to the rescue. He sent me a note and suggested I look at his mxm Easy
product (http://www.zope.org/Members/maxm/HowTo/easyProduct). I downloaded
the product, printed out the docs, and settled in for what I anticipated
would be a day or two -- minimum -- of working with this rangy beast called
Python Products. In two hours, I was creating my own fully functional
Python products.

I cannot urge you strongly enough, if you're in the same boat I was in this
morning, go get this product. Read the docs. Follow the examples. He's made
this about as simple as it's going to get.

A big public thanks to Max and to his participation on this outstanding
list! My faith in Zope is once again restored. At least for the moment. ;-)