[Zope] importing/exporting

Thomas B. Passin tpassin@mitretek.org
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 10:34:02 -0400

[John P. Looney]

> I'm new to Zope, and decided to play around with it at home for a few
> hours. I built up a small site, and decided to export it out, and mail it
> to myself in work, where I uploaded it to a Zope server there.
>
>  When exporting, I clicked on 'import/export' in the root folder, I didn't
> give an export object id (assuming it would just choose /) and clicked
> 'Export'.
>
>  I got a 2MB file (big, considering I'd typed in maybe 5k of HTML and 100k
> of images). I imported that into the Zope server in work. It seemed to be
> OK, only that it created a folder called 'Zope' and stuck it in there. I
> decided to try move the folders & DTML documents from /Zope to /, with cut
> & paste, but I kept getting errors like:
>
>  " One or more items referred to in the clipboard data was not found. The
> item may have been moved or deleted after you copied it. "
>
>  Also, I noticed that I had been using a gadfly database - the import did
> not create a /var/zope/var/gadfly directory at all, so any time I tryed to
> access those methods, it was throwing me errors !
>
>  Have I done something incorrectly ? Or does the import/export
> functionality not work in 2.5.x ?

You should have exported just the folder you created and worked on.  The way
youdid it, you exported your entire Zope folder structure into the other
Zope installation.  That's why it was so big, and the results were rather
strange.

To export just one folder and its children, just perform the export from the
folder you are interested in rather than from the root folder.

Also, as others have said, "export" really just exports parts of the Zope
object database, which does not include anything in the file system (like
products).  Furthermore, if you do copy code from the file system into the
other installation, make sure to delete any .pyc or .pyo files in the
corresponding directories.   They may have the paths from the first
installation compiled in, and they are likely to be wrong for the new
installation.

Cheers,

Tom P