[Zope] problem with Zope ODBC Database Adapter

Chris Beaumont cbeaumon@msri.org
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 07:57:32 -0800

Hi Kevin,

I had a similar problem with ZODBCA and Access some time back. It
turned out to be because another user was connected to the Access MDB
file via another instance of Access and the supplied GUI and ZODBCA
wanted an exclusive lock on it. Not good. We needed for both to be
able to occur at the same time.. (multiple GUI users and the
write-capable ODBC access..)

This locking might not be a problem if the DB was accessed via ODBC
read-only. (just guessing here) but it was a show-stopper for us. I'd
love to know of any workarounds if anyone knows any..

I'm also curious if this is a 'feature' of simply the ODBC adaptor or
Access itself.. or both..  It appears that what Access lacks is even
a rudimentary transaction feature..

-Chris