[Zope] 2 zope faster 1 zope running

Mon, 17 Jun 2002 12:30:07 +0100

On Monday 17 Jun 2002 11:47 am, =E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA =F0=D5=DE=C9=CE wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have tested ZOPE under heavy load (about 100-200 users simultaneously=
)
> and noticed that 2 zope running on 1 PC works (processing requests) fas=
ter
> than 1.

In the case of 2 zopes, was this running ZEO, or with two independant=20
storages? Was your benchmark IO-bound (referencing many different pages f=
rom=20
a huge datase) or processor-bound (so that all your pages would fit in ZO=
DB=20
cache, and the storage is not touched)

> Zope runs under Windows XP with -t 10 options.

So that means you have either 10 or 20 worker threads. right?

ZODB has a hard-coded limit of 7 database connections per process, so in =
fact=20
only 7 or 14 can run concurrently. -t 7 should give you the same performa=
nce=20
figures.

> What's wrong with my ZOPE installation?

What makes you think there is something wrong?

> Is there any performance tune tricks??

Firstly, upgrade to 2.6alpha1. It has several performance improvements.

10 or 20 worker threads is probably too many unless your pages are IO-bou=
nd.=20
Zope uses one dedicated thread to trickle requests back to clients so, un=
like=20
Apache, you dont need to scale the number of threads with the number of=20
clients.

Each worker thread has its own copy of the ZODB cache. You may get better=
=20
performance with few threads (say, "-t 4", perhaps even "-t 2"), but givi=
ng=20
each thread a bigger ZODB cache (which you can tweak in Control_Panel)