[Zope] BTreeFolder for "huge" ZODB (was : populating a "huge" ZODB)

Fri, 21 Jun 2002 11:49:26 +0100

On Friday 21 Jun 2002 11:37 am, Pierre Godefroy wrote:
> Thank you very much Igor, however I am still a bit afraid because I see=
> scrolling window for the products contrained by the BTreeFolder on the
> product homepage (http://www.zope.org/Members/hathawsh/BTreeFolder). In=
 the
> exmple given (4096 items), it could still be OK, but I think having
> 1,000,000 + objects might be a problem. There is an interface problem h=
ere

> : the contents of such a folder can only be reasonably displayed in
>
> successive batches. (in fact it is also another aspect of the problem o=
> having thousands of objects in an ordinary folder : if you click on the
> folder to open it, the Management interface will hang)

I can suggest several different approaches:

1. Like Igor suggested, but subclass BTreeFolder and implement your
   own management interface.

2. Put the objects in a heirarchical structure anyway, and access them
   through a ZCatalog. Choose a structure that corresponds to the
   adminstrative patterns, not access patterns.

3. Implement your own Zope Product that behaves exactly how you want.
   You might think of this as building a 'Better BTreeFolder', and
   BTrees might be a key part of the implementation.

I hope this helps