[Zope] logging out of ZMI

Christian Theune ct@gocept.com
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 08:22:16 +0100

--3MwIy2ne0vdjdPXF

Hi Tom.

This is a generic problem with HTTP Basic Auth.

1) There is no real thing like "logout".
2) On every page your browser sends your authentication information (creden=
tials) to the server
   if the server requests them.
3) You need to convince your browser not to do so anymore if you want to lo=
g out.

Now we have some choices:

    - The browser could provide a function to cancel given HTTP Basic AUTH =
credentials
    - The browser could forget them on a new send AUTH request (some browse=
rs do so i think)
    - The browser could forget them when you provide new credentials (this =
is what the most browsers do i think), which requires you to enter some inv=
alid user data

But at least the "logout" would be done if you close the browser. So whats =
the conclusion?
Don't rely on HTTP Basic AUTH for logout, because it will break your neck i=
f you don't watch.

(Isn't that a thing for Zope 2.6??? We could think about cookie using stand=
ard userfolder
with some nice login page and a fast "switch user" function or something li=
ke that ...=20

Hope that helps.

Christian