Dreamweaver - ANYTHING!- and SSL (Was RE: [Zope] Cut the Dreamweaver bashing ;-))

Max M maxm@mxm.dk
Mon, 04 Mar 2002 11:03:22 +0000

Chris Withers wrote:

>Max M wrote:
>
>>Then I know for certain that you have never had several pages open in by
>>IIS while doing a template update in DW ....
>>

>I don't really understand what this means, but it sounds serious, could you explain a
>little further?

1) If you use templates in Dreamweaver you have one page with the sites
layout. When you change that page DW automatically changes all the pages
that uses that layout.
So it goes in and opens every page changes it and saves it again. It
does this in Dreameavers "local" folder.

2) Apparently the IIS does some kind of locking and caching of files
that it has served to browsers. So if you try to open a file that has
recently been served by the IIS it behaves odd. I don't remember the
exact behaviour perhaps you cannot open it or perhaps you cannot save on
top of it.

This behaviour together with Dreamweavers templating behaviour causes
you to loose every file recently opened through the IIS if your site is
directly in the local folder. So I learned the hard way to allways have
a remote and a local folder in dreamweaver.

Well there are other good reasons to.

regards Max M