[Zope] WebDAV, Zope, M$ and implications...

Andreas Jung Andreas Jung" <andreas@zope.com
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 15:09:48 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matt Gregory" <matthew.gregory@skyleach.com>
To: "Zope" <zope@zope.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2002 15:03
Subject: [Zope] WebDAV, Zope, M$ and implications...

> I was just talking to a BEA representative who also happened to do some
> consulting at a company I used to work for.
>
> This representative mentioned to me that my former employer (who is one of
> the biggest supporters of the Zope corporation due to a HUGE array of zope
> and ZEO servers, support contracts, consultants, etc...) just dropped Zope
> because of a management feud over WebDAV and M$Office support.  I have not
> been able to confirm if this is true, but it sure had an impact on my
> current boss.

WebDAV and M$Office related problems have been discussed multiple times
on the zope and zope-dev list (please check the archives). The point is:
M$ violates the WebDAV  standard in an arrogant way and Zope tries
the best to provide workarounds. One should blame M$, not Zope.

> I need to know all about Zope, WebDAV, Microsoft office WebDAV and if Zope
> and M$ work friendly over that protocol.  How stable is the zope DAV
> support, etc...  I'm not under fire yet but I fear that I may soon be.

The latest released versions for Zope 2.4.X and 2.5.X have a couple of fixes
and workaround that makes working with M$ applications reasonable.

- aj

   -    Andreas Jung                            Zope Corporation       -
  -   EMail: andreas@zope.com                http://www.zope.com      -
 -  "Python Powered"                       http://www.python.org     -
  -   "Makers of Zope"                       http://www.zope.org      -
   -            "Life is too short to (re)write parsers"               -