[Zope] Confused about ZSyncer setup

John Ziniti jziniti@speakeasy.org
Thu, 07 Mar 2002 08:23:53 -0500

> As I mentioned earlier, I am still confused about the purpose of the
> production ZSyncer instance.  You suggested that in order to have
> client-server for the XMLRPC dialogue, this was necessary.  I would
> have thought that merely by installing the product, this was
> sufficient.  The destinations would then highlight nodes in file
> systems much as any other copy tool (ie cp, rsync, CVS, rcp, tar ...)

 From a "thousand-mile-away" POV, you need the dest object because
the source needs a remote object to call methods on. Some of those
methods include "Get-me-a-list-of-objects-in-this-folder", and
"update-this-object-with-this-new-one".  Zope doesn't know how
to handle these requests, but ZSyncer does.  The remote Zope
gets handed an XMLRPC call, unwraps it, and calls the appropriate
method on the remote object, which returns the information.

Better?  If not, you need the remote because XMLRPC is client/server,
and the remote instance is the server.

Now back to your problem ... You need some good old-fashioned
"print-debugging" ;)

I would, as I said, sprinkle prints through the source code, refresh the
ZSyncer product, and then try again, trying to figure out exactly which
line in the client is the one that is causing the problem.

If yolu notice that you get to a point where the request has been sent
to the remote instance, add prints to *that* code, refresh that Product,
try again, and check the output from the remote instance ...

until you find the exact line that causes the "comparison" problem.

HTH

Ziniti